What Scares The Stars
* ANTHONY HOPKINS: “Psycho” is my favorite horror film. I just love Hitchcock. He had the ability to scare you and also make a brilliant movie at the same time. To this day, ever since I saw that film, I still look over my shoulder in the shower. That’s the mark of a great director, to leave a lasting impression like that.
* JENNIFER LOVE HEWITT: “The Shining” scares me to death. To know that a supposed normal human being can go crazy, like Jack Nicholson does in that movie, is so freaky. Stanley Kubrick, who directed it, made the scariest movie ever.
* JACKIE CHAN: “The Exorcist” blows my mind. The first time I saw it I was in Australia. I was in a movie theater, and even the audience scared me. They were screaming when that girl’s head spun around. An ambulance had to come to the theater to take away one person after they passed out.
* BENJAMIN BRATT: “I Was a Teenage Werewolf,” with Michael Landon, still haunts me. I was 7 or 8 when I first saw it, and it gave me nightmares. The whole idea of a man turning into a wolf and then going out and randomly killing people terrified me. I’m also quite scared by the original classic “Night of the Living Dead.” I even own a copy on tape.
* RALPH FIENNES: The scariest movie ever made is something called “Don’t Look Now.” If you’ve never seen it, just rent it, and I can almost guarantee that you’ll be frightened out of your wits.
* EDWARD NORTON: I saw “The Exorcist” recently, and hadn’t seen it in many years. I was amazed at how scary the movie still is. It freaked me out years ago, and still does.
* GREG KINNEAR: I saw “The Exorcist” in high school with a group of friends, and it was a really scary experience. Some of my buddies thought they were really tough guys, but they came out of that movie shaking in their boots. I, of course, was also shaking right along with them.
* KATIE HOLMES: I would have to say the first “Scream” movie frightens me. I know that most people don’t really consider it that scary, but I won’t watch harder-core slasher films, because they would keep me up at night. Making matters worse, I’m good friends with the guy who wrote “Scream,” Kevin Williamson. He’s such a nice person, and I can’t believe he’s capable of writing something scary like that.
* NAOMI WATTS: “Don’t Look Now” scares me big time. So much that I don’t even like to talk about it.
* REESE WITHERSPOON: Even though it’s a very new movie, that “Red Dragon” scared the hell out of me. My heart was beating super fast throughout the whole film. Man, that was frightening.
* JOEL SCHUMACHER: “The Thing.” Not the remake, but the original from the ’50s. I remember when I was in grade school, my friends and I would crawl on the floor and pretend we were the monster from that movie, and we would try and scare each other.
What Scares The Stars