Tom Cruise Develops ‘War of the Worlds’
Tom Cruise is developing and will possibly star in a new feature version of H.G. Wells’ classic Martian invasion tale “The War of the Worlds.”
The film is scheduled for production in 2003 via the actor’s Cruise/Wagner Prods. and its Paramount home.
“‘The War of the Worlds’ is a timeless literary treasure and one of our most exciting properties,” said Sherry Lansing, chair of Paramount Pictures Motion Picture Group. “Since Paramount has enjoyed such tremendous success partnering with Cruise/Wagner, there is clearly no better team to entrust this to.”
Cruise/Wagner worked with Paramount on such high-profile projects as the billion-dollar “Mission: Impossible” franchise and the recent thriller “Vanilla Sky.”
Wells’ sci-fi novel was first published in 1898. Depicting a global, seemingly unstoppable Martian attack on Earth, the book was adapted and performed to sound like a live news broadcast by Orson Welles, whose Mercury Theater aired the now-legendary radio play the day before Halloween in 1938.Broadcast to millions of Americans, the show was so convincing, it caused a nationwide panic, quelled only after the news media reported the truth.
DreamWorks recently released a feature version of Wells’ “The Time Machine” to mixed results.
Tom Cruise Develops ‘War of the Worlds’
Copies of ‘Star Wars’ Sequel Online
A week before its scheduled release, illegal copies of “Star Wars: Episode II ó Attack of the Clones” are already appearing on the Internet.
One copy of the movie making the rounds online appears to have been recorded at a private showing, using a tripod-mounted digital camcorder pointed at the screen, the Los Angeles Times reported Friday. Another copy apparently used a more sophisticated version of the same technique.
Both were distributed via Internet Relay Chat, a computer protocol that allows users to copy files at high speed from other computers on different networks.
The highly anticipated film is due in theaters May 16. Neither Lucasfilm Ltd., which produced the movie, nor 20th Century Fox Film Corp., its distributor, could immediately be reached for comment early Friday.
Industry observers said movie piracy probably will not affect box office revenues for the “Star Wars” sequel, but may hurt its videotape and DVD revenues.
“It’s an extremely serious threat,” said Jean Murrell Adams, head of the litigation department at DreamWorks SKG. “I’m not surprised that it’s on the Internet. I talk to pirates because I want to find out why they’re doing this. And what I’ve been told is that they were eagerly anticipating who would be first to do this. It’s a challenge for them.”
The previous “Star Wars” installment, “Episode I ó The Phantom Menace,” also was available online before its official release in May 1999. The current blockbuster “Spider-Man” appeared on the Internet a day before its official premiere.
Clinton: Hosting TV Show Unlikely
Former U.S. President Clinton said it’s unlikely he’ll start a new career as a television talk show host but admitted the idea had some appeal.
Clinton met with NBC executives last week in Los Angeles to discuss the possibility of a show, an unconventional move for an ex-president and one that generated a flurry of attention.
“I don’t think this is going to happen,” Clinton said during a National Public Radio interview scheduled to air Friday. “I’d be surprised if it did.”
Clinton, a guest on NPR’s “The Tavis Smiley Show,” said a TV forum would allow him to address “things I care about in an environment where people would be free to listen to larger numbers of people than I can speak to.”
Clinton added that neither he nor the network were the impetus for the meeting. He was approached by a group of people, whom he didn’t identify, and asked for help in financing a show, he said.
Asked if he would accept a position in which he provided analysis or commentary, Clinton said he didn’t know.
NBC has declined to talk about the meeting, and a spokeswoman for Clinton downplayed its significance last week, calling it one of many discussions he’s had about potential projects since leaving office.
Hey Dan, even though you’ve been busy with THE NEW anythingbut.com website is there time to answer as to whether or not there are any new films in theatres this weekend?
Sorry, but there isn’t!
Ha ha ha, just kidding! Of course! Not even a new design, concept and look to this website would keep me from letting you know about the 2 new films invading the North American multiplexes.
I just wish they were better films!
Up first is The New Guy. This movie, for lack of a better phrase, just stinks out loud. Only a few of the jokes are funny and the humor is just bad.
There are 2 people in The New Guy. that might make it worth your time. Especially if you have a lot of free time.
Eliza Dushku, from TV’s “Buffy The Vampire Slayer” and “BRING IT ON” plays the popular girl with the killer body who falls for said new individual and the always fun Lyle Lovett plays his Dad.
But if you don’t have any free time, stay away from The New Guy.
Even if you don’t have any extra time, or any time to spare, if you are a fan of either Diane Lane or Richard Gere then you will probably find yourself in the dark somewhere watching Unfaithful over the next couple of days.
From the director of “Fatal Attraction,” 9 1/2 Weeks,” and “Foxes” this erotic, sexually charged revenge thriller has some of the things that this kind of film needs to have. More specifically, it has Diane Lane! Lane gives one hell of a performance by showing us a range of emotions that clearly states that she is one of the finest actresses on the screen today. Not to mention the sexiest. Yummy baby! Yummy!
So if you like stupid movies that stink out loud, or wanna see Diane Lane look absolutely delicious, then this is your weekend at the movies!
Otherwise, you can just go and see Spider- Man again.
Or you can just wait until Thursday when Star Wars: Episode II- Attack Of The Clones opens!
Oh yeah, baby! Oh yeah!
Enjoy the popcorn, may the force be with you, and I’ll see you at the movies!
Angelina talks about her hopes for TOMB RAIDER 2.
It seems that after initial reports saying that she wouldn’t appear in a second film, Angelina Jolie has appearantly signed up for a sequel to Tomb Raider because she’ll be able to try out the latest underwater technology and train with circus troupe Cirque Du Soleil.
The actress played Lara Croft in the 2001 action adventure and had reservations about enhancements that made her seem more curvy, so she’s stipulating that the sequel will be an underwater adventure that will see her character looking more athletic. She says, “I want to be much, much stronger. I would love to train with Cirque Du Soleil. Lara Croft should be more athletic and cut. “In the beginning of the first movie, we added padding to make me one cup size bigger. Also, I put on about 20 pounds for the role. And then, there were days when I was on my period that I was that much bigger. “I’d also like to go underwater in the next movie. I’m just curious about what gadgets can be used underwater – it’s like James Bond.
So I guess we’ll see.
Was There A “Seinfeld” Reunion In The Works?
According to a top-level source at NBC they tried to launch a Seinfeld reunion special.
Unfortunately, the Peacock network had just one feather lined up for the fanciful event. “Julia Louis-Dreyfus was the only one who said yes,” clucked a high-flying NBC heavy. “So, it’s probably not going to happen.”
Officially, it never did.
“There’s no truth to it,” said an NBC spokesperson. “There were no plans for a reunion.”
Not so (or yada, yada, yada…take your pick), say other well-connected NBC suits. “They really tried for this.”
But to no avail, or so it appears. Players inside Camp Seinfeld say Chief Jerry would “never go back” to the TV arena. “He could hardly top himself, could he?” asked one close chum rhetorically.
Maybe, maybe not. But I’d watch it.
Marvel sues Disney over “Spider- Man” artwork.
Critics: Force Returns in ‘Attack of the Clones’
The early reviews are in and the consensus, so far, is that filmmaker George Lucas has regained the Force in his latest “Star Wars” adventure.
Only 6 Days Until “Episode II”!
Online buzz has changed moviegoing forever.
Roberts Pleads for Research Funds
Actress Julia Roberts, choking back tears as she described the death of a 10-year-old girl with Rett syndrome, appealed Thursday for more money to research the neurological disorder that mainly afflicts young girls.
“This is very impressive and nerve-racking,” Roberts said as she took her seat in a crowded room for a hearing of the House Appropriations subcommittee responsible for public health spending.
“I usually ramble, but this is important, so I’ll read,” she said.
The disease, which affects about 200,000 girls and women worldwide, leaves them unable to communicate and control body movements and functions. Most develop severe disabilities by age 3.
“These are the voices that we hear today in the halls of Congress,” Roberts said over enthusiastic outbursts from children sitting behind her. “They listen but cannot speak. They struggle to do the many things we take for granted everyday.”
Roberts told lawmakers she decided to help raise public awareness for the condition after meeting Abigail Brodsky of Brooklyn, N.Y. Abigail, who filmed a one-hour documentary with the actress for the Discovery Health Channel, died in June at age 10.
“Abigail was my pal,” Roberts said, choking back tears. “We spent time together without words. We connected with our eyes.”
Roberts asked for the subcommittee to set aside $15.5 million in its 2003 budget, which starts Oct. 1. This year, research on Rett syndrome got $3.5 million in federal funds.