Your 2005 Film Quiz
Some movie buffs say this year has been one to forget. Agree or disagree? Here’s a test to see how much you truly remember (And yes, the answers are all below)
By JOE LEYDON – The New York Daily News
1. In “Batman Returns,” Christian Bale became the fifth actor to play the Caped Crusader in a feature film. Name the other four.
2. Name three actors who played Dakota Fanning’s father in 2005.
3. Who played the title roles in “Four Brothers”?
4. People magazine’s “Sexiest Man Alive 2005” starred in two ’05 films. Name them.
5. Name two John Carpenter movies that were remade in 2005.
6. “Hustle & Flow” takes place in what Southern city? (A) New Orleans (B) Nashville (C) Memphis (D) Mobile
7. In what city do the vengeful “Four Brothers” seek their mother’s killer? (A) Detroit (B) Boston (C) Chicago (D) Newark
8. “The Skeleton Key” was set in the dark backwoods just outside what city? (A) Atlanta (B) Charlotte (C) New Orleans (D) Savannah
9. Just where is Ice Cube taking those two troublesome kids in “Are We There Yet?” (A) San Francisco (B) Seattle (C) Portland (D) Vancouver
10. Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette co-starred in “In Her Shoes” as estranged sisters in what city? (A) Boston (B) Philadelphia (C) Seattle (D) Chicago
Catch a falling star
11. What native Texan played a Texas Ranger in the little-seen “Man of the House”? (A) Dennis Quaid (B) Tommy Lee Jones (C) Matthew McConaughey (D) Steve Martin
12. What star of a 2005 blockbuster also voiced the title toon character in the underwhelming “Valiant”? (A) Christian Bale (B) Johnny Depp (C) Tom Cruise (D) Ewan McGregor
13. What former “Law & Order” star fought the good fight in a long-delayed World War II drama last summer? (A) Jerry Orbach (B) Benjamin Bratt (C) Chris Noth (D) Michael Moriarty
14. She was hyped as a hottie and was notorious for nude scenes in the 1980s. In “Flightplan,” however, she cameoed as a drab and bespectacled psychologist. Who is she? (A) Greta Scacchi (B) Kim Basinger (C) Kathleen Turner (D) Sean Young
15. What actor best known for his New York-based movies stumbled badly while time-tripping through Chicago in “A Sound of Thunder”? (A) Edward Burns (B) Woody Allen (C) Robert De Niro (D) John Turturro
16. Who is Johnny Storm? (A) The pimp-turned-hip-hopper in “Hustle & Flow” (B) “The 40-Year-Old Virgin” (C) The flaming superhero in “Fantastic Four” (D) The vengeful hulk in “Sin City”
17. What were the first names of “Mr. & Mrs. Smith”? (A) John and Mary(B) Paul and Paula (C) John and Jane (D) Dick and Jane
18.Who is Gracie Hart? (A) The crusading coal miner of “North Country” (B) The plucky FBI agent of “Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous” (C) The mother-in-law from hell in “Monster-in-Law” (D) The curvy stripper of “Sin City”
19. Tyler Perry donned drag to play what character in his “Diary of a Mad Black Woman”? (A) Madea (B) Medea (C) Madonna (D) Medusa
20. Who is Ray Ferrier? (A) The heavyweight rival of the “Cinderella Man” (B) The divorced dad fleeing alien invaders in “War of the Worlds”(C) A “Wedding Crasher” (D) “The 40-Year-Old Virgin”
Who said it?
21. “Does it come in black?” (A) Johnny Depp in “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” (B) Bruno Ganz in “Downfall” (C) Christian Bale in “Batman Begins” (D) Morgan Freeman in “March of the Penguins”
22. “For the past year, I ain’t had nothing twixt my nethers that didn’t run on batteries.” (A) Jessica Simpson in “The Dukes of Hazzard” (B) Keira Knightley in “Domino” (C) Jewell Staite in “Serenity” (D) Drea de Matteo in “Assault on Precinct 13”
23. “A thong would look ridiculous on me.” (A) Michelle Monaghan in “Kiss Kiss Bang Bang” (B) Val Kilmer in “Kiss Kiss Bang Bang” (C) Toni Collette in “In Her Shoes” (D) Shirley MacLaine in “In Her Shoes”
24. “Trust me: Everyone is less mysterious than they think they are.”(A) Kirsten Dunst in “Elizabethtown”(B) Claire Danes in “Shopgirl” (C) Steve Carell in “The 40-Year-Old Virgin”(D) Jessica Alba in “Fantastic Four”
25. “God loves you just the way you are, but too much to let you stay that way.” (A) Michael Caine in “Batman Begins” (B) Cameron Diaz in “In Her Shoes” (C) Amy Adams in “Junebug” (D) Reese Witherspoon in “Walk the Line”
26. “You’re not stalking me, are you?” (A) Cillian Murphy in “Red Eye” (B) Orlando Bloom in “Elizabethtown” (C) Rob Schneider in “Deuce Bigalow, European Gigolo” (D) Brad Pitt in “Mr. & Mrs. Smith”
27. “There are two types of people: Those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. People who walk the walk sometimes talk the talk but most times they don’t talk at all, ’cause they walkin’. Now, people who talk the talk, when it comes time for them to walk the walk, you know what they do? They talk people like me into walkin’ for them.” (A) Terrence Howard in “Get Rich or Die Tryin'” (B) Joaquin Phoenix in “Walk the Line” (C) Toni Collette in “In Her Shoes” (D) Anthony Anderson in “Hustle & Flow”
28. “Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.” (A) Joe Pantoliano in “Racing Stripes” (B) Tim Curry in “Valiant” (C) Robin Williams in “Robots” (D) Cedric the Entertainer in “Madagascar”
29. “Know how I knew you were gay? You like Coldplay.” (A) Terrence Howard in “Hustle & Flow” (B) Paul Rudd in “The 40-Year-Old Virgin” (C) Mark Wahlberg in “Four Brothers” (D) Mickey Rourke in “Sin City”
30. “Tattoo on the lower back? Might as well be a bull’s-eye.” (A) Angelina Jolie in “Mr. & Mrs. Smith” (B) Chris Rock in “The Longest Yard” (C) Vince Vaughn in “Wedding Crashers”(D) Jennifer Garner in “Elektra”
1. Adam West (“Batman,” 1966), Michael Keaton (“Batman,” 1989; “Batman Returns,” 1992), Val Kilmer (“Batman Forever,” 1995) and George Clooney (“Batman & Robin,” 1997).
2. Robert De Niro (“Hide and Seek”), Tom Cruise (“War of the Worlds”) and Kurt Russell (“Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story”).
3. Mark Wahlberg, Tyrese Gibson, Andre Benjamin and Garrett Hedlund.
4. Matthew McConaughey appeared in “Sahara” and “Two for the Money.”
5. “Assault on Precinct 13” and “The Fog.”
6. (C) Memphis
7. (A) Detroit
8. (C) New Orleans
9. (D) Vancouver
10. (B) Philadelphia
CATCH A FALLING STAR
11. (B) Tommy Lee Jones
12. (D) Ewan McGregor
13. (B) Benjamin Bratt (in “The Great Raid”)
14. (A) Greta Scacchi
15. (A) Edward Burns
16. (C) Superhero in “Fantastic Four”
17. (C) John and Jane
18. (B) FBI agent in “Miss Congeniality 2”
19. (A) Madea
20. (B) Divorced dad in “War of the Worlds”
21. (C) Christian Bale
22. (C) Jewell Staite
23. (C) Toni Collette
24. (A) Kirsten Dunst
25. (C) Amy Adams
26. (A) Cillian Murphy
27. (D) Anthony Anderson
28. (A) Joe Pantoliano
29. (B) Paul Rudd
30. (C) Vince Vaughn
Your 2005 Film Quiz